SQL:2003 is the fourth revision of the SQL database query language. The standard consists of 9 parts which are described in detail in SQL. It was updated by SQL:2006.
The SQL:2003 standard makes minor modifications to all parts of SQL:1999 (also known as SQL3), and officially introduces a few new features such as:
- XML-related features (SQL/XML)
- Window functions
- the sequence generator, which allows standardized sequences
- two new column types: auto-generated values and identity-columns
- the new MERGE statement
- extensions to the CREATE TABLE statement, to allow "CREATE TABLE AS" and "CREATE TABLE LIKE"
- removal of the poorly implemented "BIT" and "BIT VARYING" data types
- OLAP capabilities (initially added in SQL:1999) were extended with a window function.
Edited: 2021-06-19 11:08:42